Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Wait

I read part of a book this weekend and one of the chapters was called "An hour with a fellow adoptee is better than weeks of therapy." I talked to the girl in my office who was adopted yesterday for about 20 minutes or so about our stories and I would have to agree. I suppose that the next best thing to seeing someone who looks like you is seeing someone else who has never seen someone that looks like them. Also, it is good to know someone else who knows nothing more about their beginnings than what a few papers with fragments of sentences (at best) tell you. And finally, and perhaps the most validating, it is great to know that you aren't the only person who can't even make it through the commercials about that adoption show that comes on the Hallmark channel without crying like a baby.

Speaking of babies, my mom called me at work to talk about something that happened when I was a baby earlier this week. (Yeah, at work. That is really where I want to have this conversation) She told me a story I hadn't heard before. Apparently when my parents went to the courthouse to get me, the lady came out with me and said "I don't know if she's going with anyone...she's gripping on for dear life to whoever is holding her". And they had to pry me off this lady to give me to my parents. After reading what I've read over the past few weeks, that was really hard to hear. I've read that babies who are separated from their mothers at birth are in a state of fear and unrest and although they don't know what is going on, they know something is wrong. Obviously, its all a theory, but I suppose it makes sense.

Anyhow, I suppose that all of the places I have mailed my forms to will probably have them by Friday, so that means I should be hearing back sometime around next Wednesday, right? Just kidding. I've read enough to know that there are people who have been struggling with government for years and years to no avail. I actually got this really random email from a customer this week about patience...and I bet it is a foreshadowing of things to come. So now the wait...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home